War of the Fifth Coalition
1809 Dec 30
- Austria losses territory
- Austria also paid to France a large indemnity
- Austrian army limited to 150,000 troops
- Bavaria gains Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, and Innviertel
- Duchy of Warsaw gains Western Galicia
- Russia gains part of Eastern Galicia
- France gains Dalmatia & Trieste(Austria loses access to Adriatic Sea)
- Napoleon married the daughter of Emperor Francis, Marie Louise. Napoleon hoped the marriage would cement a Franco-Austrian alliance and provide legitimacy to his regime. The alliance gave Austria respite from war with France
- The revolts in Tyrol and the Kingdom of Westphalia during the conflict were an indication that there was discontent over French rule among the German population.
- The war undermined French military superiority and the Napoleonic image
- The Battle of Aspern-Essling was the first major defeat in Napoleon's career and was warmly greeted by much of Europe.